Saturday, August 2, 2008

How to help a sensitive 4 year old.

Ok so Allie's fits have gone away for the most part. Hallelujuah!!! On to needing some different advice. Has anyone dealt with a sensitive child? Madison has always been sensitive. SHe can cry at the drop of a hat. For example: I dropped her off at a birthday party. I knew she would cry when it was time to leave. Sure enough I went to pick her up and she scremaed and cried because she wanted to draw with chalk. My first appraoch was calm and I told her we could draw with chalk at home, stc. Well she kept screaming and crying. Then off course I lost all patience. We walked around looking for her shoes still crying. I told her I would spank her when we got to the car if she didnt stop. At one point i covered her mouth because she was so loud:) WE walked out the door and as soon as we got in the car I spanked her.
Once we got home we talked about how 4 year olds act. ANyway thats just one example. SHes not a bad child by any means she is just really sensitive and also has to know exactly what we are doing and when and if you forget or plans change things are over for her.
Doea anyone have any suggestion? Are a lot of kids at this age sensitive? I have seen much worse out of other kids but I want to do what i can to help her plus it is embarrasing and you feel like a bad parent if you loose your cool or if you are frusterated:)

3 comments:

Gena said...

No, Nicole. Raegan can be just as sensitive (or hard headed). I just have to spell out every emotion she might want to have for every circumstance, and tell her what she can/can not do. It's exhausting sometimes, but otherwise she will just melt down. She would have thrown a fit at the end of that party, but I had to threaten that she would 'lose' getting to play with the puppies when we got home. Ugh.

The Lj's said...

well, you are not a bad parent for getting frustrated... YOU are a parent... we all get frustrated... my only suggestion since she needs everything spelled out is try to stop the meltdowns.. maybe give her a watch or other visual things so she knows what to expect when... ((HUGS)) you are a great mom dealing with normal children :)

Amber said...

So normal, welcome to the world of girls. Everything is emotional and dramatic. Except for me, I'm not emotional or dramatic....